BIG nr. 69914831001
Aandachtsgebieden uitklapper, klik om te openen
Maarten Smits is an interventional radiologist with a focus on oncologic and abdominal interventions. His research activities range from radioembolization with yttrium-90 and holmium-166 microspheres, chemo-embolization (TACE), radiofrequency ablation, microwave ablation and MRI-guided interventions.
In 2013, he obtained his PhD on the thesis entitled “Holmium radioembolization for patients with liver metastases”. Promotores: Prof. Maurice van den Bosch and Prof. Willem Mali.
Besides his training at the UMC Utrecht, Dr. Smits has had internships/fellowship positions at Stanford University, University Hospital of Magdeburg, Amsterdam UMC (VUmc), and Erasmus MC Rotterdam.
- Chair of the Scientific Committee Interventional Radiologie (WCIR) by the Dutch Society of Interventional Radiology
- Proctor for Terumo / Quirem Medical
- Woldringprijs - thesis award - Nederlandse Vereniging voor Nucleaire Geneeskunde (2014)
- Fellowship Clinical Research Talent – Post-doctoral research track grant awarded by the University Medical Center Utrecht (2014)
- Best Thesis Award – Imago Graduate School of Life Sciences Utrecht (2014)
- Best Article Award – Imago Graduate School of Life Sciences Utrecht (2013)
- Travel grant – For research internship at Stanford University by the Foundation for Image-guided Cancer Treatments (SBBvK.nl) (2012)
- Alexander Suerman Stipendium – PhD Research track grant by the University Medical Center Utrecht (2011)
- Kanker in Beeld Award - the Foundation for Image-guided Cancer Treatments (SBBvK.nl) (2011)
- KWF student scholarship – Dutch Cancer Society (KWF) (2009)