dr. T.U. (Ganna) Busman
dr. T.U. (Ganna) Busman
- Department of Epidemiology
Dr Ganna Rozhnova is an Assistant Professor in Infectious Disease Modeling at the Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care and an affiliated researcher at the BioISI—Biosystems & Integrative Sciences Institute in Portugal. Her research centers on the application of infectious disease modeling to answer questions and support evidence-based policymaking in public health. She is interested in the emergence, evolution and spatio-temporal dynamics of infectious diseases on different scales (e.g., host, hospital or population) as well as in the evaluation of the impact of interventions on disease transmission. Her most recent research aims to address the prospects of HIV elimination, the impact of promising HIV cure strategies on HIV transmission, and (post-)pandemic dynamics of SARS-CoV-2. Other applications include influenza, CMV and childhood infections.
Dr Rozhnova is a recipient of highly competitive awards (PhD and postdoctoral fellowships from the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology, Award "Stimulus for Research" from Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation), institutional excellence programs (Research Career Development Program) and grants (list below). She held official appointments as an invited visiting scientist at the University of California (Santa Barbara, USA), the Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences (Cambridge, UK), the Gladstone Institute of Immunology and Virology (San Francisco, USA), and the MRC Biostatistics Unit (Cambridge, UK). The main funders of her current research are Aidsfonds, FCT, ZonMw and European Commission.
- Editorial Board Member, Communications Medicine, Nature Portfolio
- Editorial Board Member, Mathematical Biosciences, Epidemiology and Public Health specialty section, Elsevier
- Editorial Board Member, Frontiers in Epidemiology, Infectious Disease Epidemiology specialty section
- Member, Young Academy, University Medical Center Utrecht
- Associate Member, Centre for Complex Systems Studies, Utrecht University
- Member, European Women in Mathematics
- Member, Institute of Physics
- Member, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
Fellowship and Awards
- Horizon Europe project (2022-2025). Co-Applicant/University Medical Center Utrecht partner. Co-chair Working Group on Transmission across all WPs. Tasks Lead in WP4. €5M (total), €470k (University Medical Center Utrecht). Grant Agreement No. 10104598. VERDI Monkeypox Amendment.
- Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology grant (2023-2025). Principal Investigator. €250k. "Targeted control of COVID-19 post mass vaccination".
- NORDITA Program (2023). Principal Investigator. Organizer. €44k. "Unifying the epidemiological and evolutionary dynamics of pathogens".
- Horizon Europe project (2021-2025). Co-Applicant/University Medical Center Utrecht partner. Co-chair Working Group on Transmission. Tasks Lead in WP4. €10M (total), €671k (University Medical Center Utrecht). Grant Agreement No. 10104598. "VERDI: SARS-coV2 variants Evaluation in pRegnancy and paeDIatrics cohorts".
- Selected for Research Career Development Program for Assistant Professors, University Medical Center Utrecht (2021).
- Aidsfonds grant (2020-2024). Principal Investigator. €275k. Contract No. P-53902. "Prospects of HIV elimination among Dutch MSM by targeted screening for acute HIV infection and partner notification".
- Aidsfonds grant (2020-2023). Principal Investigator. €275k. Contract No. P-52901. "Making HIV cure work: impact on quality of life, risk behavior, and the Dutch epidemic".
- RESEARCH 4 COVID-19 grant from the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (2020). Principal Investigator. €17,5k. Contract No. 131_596787873. "Making the way out: model-based evaluation of exit strategies from the COVID-19 lockdown in Portugal".
- ZonMw grant (2019-2021). Role: Co-Applicant. €47k. Contract No. 522008010. "Gini in a bottle: Impact of PrEP on sexual behavior and sexually transmitted infections in the MSM population".
- ZonMw grant (2018-2020). Role: Co-Applicant. €170k. Contract No. 522004009. "Risk underestimation, high-risk sexual behavior episodes and estimating the impact of tailored interventions".
- Invited visiting scientist, MRC Biostatistics Unit, Cambridge, UK (2016-2017).
- Invited visiting scientist, Cologne University, Cologne, Germany (2011–2014). Position funded by SFB 680, Molecular Basis of Evolutionary Innovations.
- Invited visiting scientist, Gladstone Institute of Immunology and Virology, San Francisco, CA, USA (2013).
- Invited visiting scientist, Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge, UK (2013). Program "Infectious Disease Dynamics".
- CALSIMLAB scholarship from the Institut du Calcul et de la Simulation, Paris, France (2013).
- CoSyDy grant from the Warwick University, Warwick, UK (2012).
- Invited visiting scientist, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA, USA (2011). KITP Program "Microbial and Viral Evolution".
- Postdoctoral Fellowship from the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (2010-2013). Principal Investigator. €90k. Contract No. SFRH/BPD/69137/2010. "Stochastic metapopulation models for infection dynamics and viral evolution".
- Award "Stimulus for research" from the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation (2007-2010). Principal Investigator. €12,5k. "The physics of populations: the role of the contact network in the competition of species and in the propagation of diseases".
- PhD Fellowship from the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (2006-2010). Principal Investigator. €60k. Contract No. SFRH/BD/32164/2006. "Spatio-temporal patterns on complex networks: the role of the structure of the interaction network".
- Merit Scholarship from V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, Kharkiv, Ukraine (2000-2004).
- Gold Medal "For a Marked Progress in Studies" from the Ministry of Education of Ukraine (2000).
Research Output (35)
Romijnders Kim A.G.J., de Groot Laura, Vervoort Sigrid C.J.M., Basten Maartje G.J., van Welzen Berend J., Kretzschmar Mirjam E., Reiss Peter, Davidovich Udi, Rozhnova Ganna Mar 2022, In: Journal of virus eradication. 8 , p. 1-7
Basten Maartje G J, van Wees Daphne A, Matser Amy, Boyd Anders, Rozhnova Ganna, den Daas Chantal, Kretzschmar Mirjam E E, Heijne Janneke C M Dec 2021, In: PLoS ONE. 16 , p. 1-13
Pham Thi Mui, Westerhof Ilse, Rozhnova Ganna, Bootsma Martin, Kretzschmar Mirjam, Bruijning-Verhagen P. 7 Sep 2021, 32 p.
Pham Thi Mui, Rozhnova Ganna, Westerhof Ilse, Bootsma Martin, Kretzschmar Mirjam, Bruijning-Verhagen P. 13 Aug 2021,
Pham Thi Mui, Westerhof Ilse, Rozhnova Ganna, Bootsma Martin, Kretzschmar Mirjam, Bruijning-Verhagen P. 7 Jul 2021, 28 p.
Pham Thi Mui, Rozhnova Ganna, Westerhof Ilse, Bonten Marc , Bootsma Martin, Kretzschmar Mirjam, Bruijning-Verhagen P. 1 Jul 2021,
Viana João, van Dorp Christiaan H., Nunes Ana, Gomes Manuel C., van Boven Michiel, Kretzschmar Mirjam E., Veldhoen Marc, Rozhnova Ganna 16 Jun 2021, In: Nature Communications. 12 , p. 1-15
Pham Thi Mui, Rozhnova Ganna, Westerhof Ilse, Kretzschmar Mirjam, Bootsma Martin, Bruijning-Verhagen P. 10 Jun 2021,
Rozhnova Ganna, van Dorp Christiaan H, Bruijning-Verhagen Patricia, Bootsma Martin C J, van de Wijgert Janneke H H M, Bonten Marc J M, Kretzschmar Mirjam E 12 Mar 2021, In: Nature Communications. 12 , p. 1-11
Kretzschmar Mirjam E., Rozhnova Ganna, van Boven Michiel 10 Feb 2021, In: FRONTIERS IN PHYSICS. 8 , p. 1-11